Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hammer42

I had a legal settlement of $ 2500 and I received 1099-Misc form for it. But the actual cash settlement, less the "expenses" was around $ 250. How should I report this?

I didn't generate a profit and the $2500 increases my tax bill. How can report the expenses to reduce my tax owed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I had a legal settlement of $ 2500 and I received 1099-Misc form for it. But the actual cash settlement, less the "expenses" was around $ 250. How should I report this?

There may be a better way, but one work around would be to enter the 1099-misc again with a negative amount in box 3 reflecting your expenses.  If an explanation is allowed enter  “expense offset for 1099-misc.”

View solution in original post

4 Replies

In what box in the 1099 was the amount?

what kind of settlement?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Hammer42

The amount was in box 3; the legal settlement was for nuisance calls to my cell phone...

There may be a better way, but one work around would be to enter the 1099-misc again with a negative amount in box 3 reflecting your expenses.  If an explanation is allowed enter  “expense offset for 1099-misc.”

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies