turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Change my filing status

change from single to head of house hold
3 Replies

Change my filing status

Have you filed already? Do you have a dependent?

Change my filing status

Intuit Alumni

Change my filing status

In order to file as Head of Household, you must have a dependent.  If you haven't already filed your return, you can change your filing status from Single to Head of Household by following these steps:

  1. Click on the Personal Info tab.
  2. On the Personal info Summary screen, click on the Add a dependent box.  [See Screenshot #1, below.]
  3. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.
  4. TurboTax will automatically change your filing status from Single to Head of Household.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies