Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daailani

Tried to e-file my NY return and was unable to do so. I was being asked to mail it in. First time filing NY return. Could someone help me e-file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Tried to e-file my NY return and was unable to do so. I was being asked to mail it in. First time filing NY return. Could someone help me e-file?

In most situations, the state of New York requires tax returns to be e-filed.  However, this does not apply to you.  You have forms that can't be e-filed.

You can mail your New York state income tax return because you have forms that TurboTax can't e-file.  Since TurboTax does not support e-filing for your return, you are exempt from the mandatory e-filing requirement.  You're required to electronically file your return only if you meet all three of the following conditions:

• you use software to prepare your own personal income tax return;
  • your software supports the electronic filing of your return; and
  • you have broadband Internet access.

Since you don't meet condition #2, you can mail your return.  As of April of 2012, the New York Department of Taxation removed the formerly-imposed $25 penalty for filing by mail.

Here is the address and mailing instructions for New York state tax returns:

You must include the following on your envelope:

• your return address
  • enough postage (some returns require additional postage)

If you are NOT including a payment, mail your return to:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER
PO BOX 61000
ALBANY NY 12261-0001

If you ARE including a payment (check or money order), mail your return (including Form IT-201-V) to:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER
PO BOX 15555
ALBANY NY 12212-5555

Include copies of any documents that report NY withholdings or NY earned income.  

Harry3

Turbo tax asked me to mail PO 15555 even tho there was no payment( payment was made through direct debit), is this correct? how do I check status of mailed filing (there is no refund)?
Harry3

Turbo tax asked me to mail PO 15555 even tho there was no payment( payment was made through direct debit), is this correct? how do I check status of mailed filing (there is no refund)?
Harry3

Hello!

What are the specific forms that cannot be E-filed? What should we do to change them so that they can be E-filed?

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies