shellar23

In January of 2016 I was robbed. I sent a claim to my renters insurance. Do I claim that as income? How do I treat it on my return?

In January of 2016 I was robbed. I had renters insurance and filed a claim. I have been paid slightly less than $2300 on this claim thus far and have replaced most of my missing items. Sadly some were irreplaceable. Do I count that as income? How do I account for that on my tax return? Do I need to mention it at all? This robbery took place in Oklahoma. Thank you.

The insurance payment is not taxable income unless it is more than the original cost of the stolen items (then, only the difference would be taxable.)

You could declare a theft loss for the unreimbursed portion of the loss, but you probably won't benefit since the IRS deductibles are fairly high--you can only deduct part of the loss that is more than 10% of your income after a $100 deductible.

shellar23

So I don't need to list it at all when I file?

Correct.