mygangel4

In 2017 I filed my taxes though turbo tax and was asked if I wanted to defer my state tax payment to 2018 tax year. How do I go about getting that payout this year ?

I accidentally checked yes to deferred payment of my New York State taxes in 2017 for 2018. How do I get what is owed to me from 2017 ?

AnthonyC

Note:  This gets entered in the Federal section of the program.

If you have a refund from 2017 to apply to your 2018 return., then you will need to enter it in the Estimated and Other Income Taxes section of the program.  

The easiest thing to do is log into your account and click Take Me to My Return (must click this first before the search or you won’t get the jump to link).  Then, click the search icon (top right corner magnifying glass) and search for "refund applied to this year" and click the "jump to" link that appears.

Or, you can also find the section by clicking on the following tabs:
  • Federal Taxes
  • Deductions and Credits
  • You may have to click “Ill Choose what to work on” or "Show All" or "Check for More Credits" to get full list to appear
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Scroll down to Other Income taxes
  • Answer Yes
  • Scroll down to 2017 Refund Applied to 2018 State Taxes
  • Enter your refund