turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Im married with 3 dependents. Me nor my wife have income this year. When I went to file why am I no getting anything back? I would think I should at least get moneyforkid

Why does my return show I'm not going to get anything? I know we had no income last year but I have 3 dependents
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Im married with 3 dependents. Me nor my wife have income this year. When I went to file why am I no getting anything back? I would think I should at least get moneyforkid

To get money back, you must pay in more tax than you owe - you get the overpayment back. Or you must qualify for a refundable credit such as the EITC or the Additional Child Credit, but you must have earned income to qualify for either. If you had no income, then you get nothing back. There is no refund just for having a dependent.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

How did you support all fo you all year?

I don't think that is any of our business.

Yes I did all year

"I don't think that is any of our business."
I (and others) ask that question because often users say they have no income, when they really mean no income from working,. We need to determine if they have any taxable income, or if someone else can claim them as a dependent, in order to best answer their question..

To get money back, you must pay in more tax than you owe - you get the overpayment back. Or you must qualify for a refundable credit such as the EITC or the Additional Child Credit, but you must have earned income to qualify for either. If you had no income, then you get nothing back. There is no refund just for having a dependent.

Do you live with another adult who might be able to claim all of you?

No one can claim us or the kids and like I said we neither had no income besides 13,000$ for a car wreck settlement but I was going to file both of my kids as well as one dependent on our taxes and it says 0$ return when it also said I had over 14,000$ in tax breaks. I'm just confused

The tax "break" is the amount of your deductions. They get subtracted from your income to reduce the tax that you owe, they are not an amount that you get back. A settlement is not "earned income" for purposes of the EITC and the ACTC.

Ya I know they said I couldn't file that income on taxes but I was just wandering why mainly I couldn't get back for my children

Was any of the car accident settlement for Lost Wages?

No

Simply because there is no set refund amount for a dependent, None. If you paid in no tax, there is nothing to be refunded no matter how many dependents you have.

Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies