Check your entries for unearned income [like interest, dividends, capital gains, rents & royalties]. If it exceeded $2,200, that would trigger Form 8615.
Form 8615 must be filed for anyone who meets all of the following conditions:
1. You had more than $2,200 of unearned income
2. You are required to file a tax return.
3. You were either:
- Under age 18 at the end of 2019,
- Age 18 at the end of 2019 and didn’t have earned income that was more than half of your support, or
- A full-time student at least age 19 and under age 24 at the end of 2019 and didn’t have earned income that was more than half of your support. [Earned income is anything that is not considered unearned income.]
4. At least one of your parents was alive at the end of 2019.
5. You don’t file a joint return for 2019.
What is unearned income?
Unearned income is income that doesn't involve active work or a business activity, such as:
- Taxable scholarships
- Interest, dividend, or investment income
- Retirement or Social Security income
- Alimony or child support
- Unemployment or worker's comp
- Gifts, prizes, awards, or winnings
- Income received while incarcerated, even if it involves active work
The taxable scholarship might apply to your situation.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"