turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

5014bgkz

Im a foster parent i had the children over 6months i filed my taxes and it was rejected because someone had already claimed them whats my next step.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im a foster parent i had the children over 6months i filed my taxes and it was rejected because someone had already claimed them whats my next step.

to claim a foster child as a qualifying child, the child must be with you by an authorized placement agency or by judgment, decree, or other order of any court of competent jurisdiction. this would satisfy the relationship test    and having the child for over 6 months would satisfy the residency test .

when something like this happens your only option is to paper file. 

Eventually, the IRS will send each of you a notice asking you to amend. If no one does, the IRS will send another notice asking each of you to provide proof. The one with the better proof gets it and the other gets a tax bill.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You can mail in your return to claim the children that lived with you over six months.

Keep records on the children from school, doctors, social workers, etc. as documentation of the time they lived with you, as the IRS may ask for this. 

Click this link for detailed info on Claiming Foster Children.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies