turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing extension, but asking for Spouse Social Security while I dont have her ITIN so far

We had to travel out of states and could not generate her ITIN. I need an extension so that I can generate her ITIN and file my tax returns
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Filing extension, but asking for Spouse Social Security while I dont have her ITIN so far

If your spouse does not (yet) have a Social Security Number or an ITIN number, then the answer to your question is that you probably won't be able to file an easy extension request electronically (through TurboTax or otherwise); but you can certainly do it the old-fashioned way, on paper.  Here's how:

Go to the following IRS.gov website to obtain Form 4868 (a.k.a. Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return):

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

Once you have that Adobe Acrobat document, simply print out Page 1.  You can fill out the form itself by hand, and then mail it.  In the space that requests your spouse's Social Security Number, simply print the words "ITIN TO BE REQUESTED."  Please see also the instructions for Part I (Identification), as found on Page 3 of the download.

It does not matter if your spouse ultimately intends to apply for a Social Security Number, or an ITIN number instead.  You will use the same wording on the extension request form, regardless of that distinction.

Thank you for asking this important question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies