turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

justmeess

I've made under 4000 and I have two dependents should I file? And will I get any thing back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I've made under 4000 and I have two dependents should I file? And will I get any thing back?

If your income was from working (earned income) and cannot be claimed by someone else, you should file a tax return. If you had at least $3000 of earned income, you would qualify for some additional child tax credit for any dependents under the age of 17. You would also qualify for earned income credit.

If you live with someone else such as a parent and you and your children meet the tests to be claimed by them, then the total household might get a bigger tax refund for the two families in total by allowing your parent to claim you and your children. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Any other income of any type? Do you live with another adult?

If your income was from working (earned income) and cannot be claimed by someone else, you should file a tax return. If you had at least $3000 of earned income, you would qualify for some additional child tax credit for any dependents under the age of 17. You would also qualify for earned income credit.

If you live with someone else such as a parent and you and your children meet the tests to be claimed by them, then the total household might get a bigger tax refund for the two families in total by allowing your parent to claim you and your children. 

justmeess

I'm head of my house hold so I should be fine ?

You can file a tax return, claim your children, and be eligible for the credits described in my answer above. The credits will be small with only less than $4000 of earned income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies