turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shanekim

My daughter attended college from September through December. She is 19, and lived at home, working, until September. (she earned $8,000). Can I claim her as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

My daughter attended college from September through December. She is 19, and lived at home, working, until September. (she earned $8,000). Can I claim her as a dependent?

If your daughter was a high school in 2018 and/or started college in mid-August, then my answer is correct. If she wasn't, please see TomD8's answer below.

Yes, she is your dependent as long as:

• She didn't claim herself on her income tax return or she wasn't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • She's a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • She isn't filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • She's under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students). She's considered a full-time student if her 1098-T Tuition Box 8 is checked.
  • She didn't provide more than half of her own support for the year (i.e. housing, food, clothing, medical insurance, utilities, etc.).

See also Can I claim education expenses for my dependent?

Related information:

[Edited 1-31-19|9:05 am PST]

View solution in original post

2 Replies
HelenaC

If your daughter was a high school in 2018 and/or started college in mid-August, then my answer is correct. If she wasn't, please see TomD8's answer below.

Yes, she is your dependent as long as:

• She didn't claim herself on her income tax return or she wasn't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • She's a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • She isn't filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • She's under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students). She's considered a full-time student if her 1098-T Tuition Box 8 is checked.
  • She didn't provide more than half of her own support for the year (i.e. housing, food, clothing, medical insurance, utilities, etc.).

See also Can I claim education expenses for my dependent?

Related information:

[Edited 1-31-19|9:05 am PST]

TomD8
Level 15

For purposes of the dependency claim, the IRS defines "student" this way: A student is a child who during any part of 5 calendar months of 2018 was enrolled as a full-time student at a school, or took a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school or a state, county, or local government agency. 

September to December is 4 months.

Therefore, assuming your daughter was 19 as of the end of 2018, she does not qualify as a "Qualifying Child."

Since she earned $8,000, she also does not meet the criteria to be a "Qualifying Relative".  The earnings limit for 2018 is $4,150.

Therefore she does not qualify to be claimed as your dependent. 

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies