turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cboard222

My child receives social security disability do I count this as income on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My child receives social security disability do I count this as income on my taxes?

If your children receive Social Security survivors/disability benefits, that is income to them, not to you. You do not enter it on your tax return. Look at Box 2 of the SSA-1099 and you should see the child’s SSN.
If that is the only income a child has, then the child does not have to file or report it either.
If the child has enough other income to be required to file, then the child reports the SS on the child's return.

It’s for his disability but it has both of our names and ssn on it. I’m also needing it for the child tax credit so my question is do I claim it on my taxes? And, if so, where?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Check the form 1099-SSA box 2 as noted by Jerry2000 above.  There would not be 2 social security numbers.  If you both get benefits you would each get your own 1099-SSA.  You do not count his social security disability on your return.  Unless he has other income, he would not need to file a tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was wondering if you ever found out the answer to your question? I'm in the same situation and haven't been able to figure it out. Thanks! 

@cmoore1972 You have added to an old thread with multiple users' posts, so not sure what "same situation" you have.  If your child gets a Social Security check you do NOT enter it on your own return.  Someday when your child has a job, or other income, if he is still receiving SS, the SSA1099 will go on his own tax return with his other income.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies