turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need a 1095-A if I didn't pay for my Medicaid

This is all new to me...I worked for a portion of 2016...Have been covered by Medicaid since June 2016 without having to pay for it,I had no income. do I still need a 1095-A
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

If you were covered by Medicaid, then you might get a 1095-B, but not a 1095-A.

Medicaid does not count as insurance purchased from the Marketplace, and you do not need to report the 1095-B. All you need to do in TurboTax is to report that you had qualifying health insurance for as many months as you had Medicaid.

If you did not have Medicaid for the whole year, TurboTax will ask if you qualify for any of the exemptions that you can get when you file a tax return.

To enter all this in TurboTax:

1. Select the Personal tab, then Health Insurance.
  2. Under Did you have health insurance coverage in 2016?, choose I'll pick who had it and which months.
  3. Under Did anyone have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured?, select whichever answer applies.
  4. Under Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016, enter No.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

If you were covered by Medicaid, then you might get a 1095-B, but not a 1095-A.

Medicaid does not count as insurance purchased from the Marketplace, and you do not need to report the 1095-B. All you need to do in TurboTax is to report that you had qualifying health insurance for as many months as you had Medicaid.

If you did not have Medicaid for the whole year, TurboTax will ask if you qualify for any of the exemptions that you can get when you file a tax return.

To enter all this in TurboTax:

1. Select the Personal tab, then Health Insurance.
  2. Under Did you have health insurance coverage in 2016?, choose I'll pick who had it and which months.
  3. Under Did anyone have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured?, select whichever answer applies.
  4. Under Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016, enter No.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies