Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rosered-

I babysit but I don't have any forms I got paid cash?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you received cash you must report it. The IRS guidelines state that if you received more than $400 in self-employed income you must file a return. 

If you do not have any forms you would have to have a good estimate and determine how much money you made for the year. Also, you should total up any business expenses you had.

As you progress through the return you will be asked questions which would help determine your tax liability.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

If you only baby sit in the client's home, and no individual client  paid you more than $2100, you may be able to avoid self employment tax (SET). Reply back for alternate instructions

If you received cash you must report it. The IRS guidelines state that if you received more than $400 in self-employed income you must file a return. 

If you do not have any forms you would have to have a good estimate and determine how much money you made for the year. Also, you should total up any business expenses you had.

As you progress through the return you will be asked questions which would help determine your tax liability.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You report the income from your own records. The IRS considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & medicare tax) on any profits greater than $400.

If you baby sit, in your home, you may be able to deduct some home expenses. The TurboTax interview will guide you.

You may have to upgrade to the Self Employment version of TT. If you have no expenses to deduct, There's a chance you may be able to use TT Deluxe or Premier. Enter your income at the 1099-Misc screen (even if you didn't get a 1099-misc). You do not need the payer's ("employer's") Employer ID Number (EIN).

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

- Other Common Income

-Income from Form 1099-Misc

When asked why you got the 1099-Misc, select “Freelancer or Independent contractor”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

TurboTax also has another free product called the Free File Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation and free State preparation. There is no efiling fee. It is not available after October 15

The Free file Edition can handle self employment income.

The Free file Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Free File Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot. 

For Free File Edition a user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

•      AGI of $34,000 or less
  •      or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2018 AGI of $66,000 or less
  •      or eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC aka EITC).

The FREE FILE Edition is located at:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

How to switch and start over in Free file Edition
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies