turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work for a tax exempt company. THey do not take taxes out of my paycheck. Do I even have to use them for my 2017 taxes or include them with my taxes? Thanks Jim

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I work for a tax exempt company. THey do not take taxes out of my paycheck. Do I even have to use them for my 2017 taxes or include them with my taxes? Thanks Jim

They may be tax exempt but you are not ... if they didn't withhold any taxes including FICA then see if you will be getting a 1099 form instead of a W-2.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

They may be tax exempt but you are not ... if they didn't withhold any taxes including FICA then see if you will be getting a 1099 form instead of a W-2.

Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If you receive compensation from a company, non-profit or not, you must declare it as income.

If you receive a W-2, you are an employee. If you did not, you have to file as an Independent Contractor. You are responsible for your own taxes since none have been withheld. The non-profit may issue you a 1099-Misc for the amount of compensation.

You would prepare your return using the Self-Employed Edition which will let you take any expenses you had against the income as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies