turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did I receive estimated payments to make for next years return? I work full-time for a large corporation and have never had an issue with appropriate taxes being withheld. I am concerned that i've mucked something up with my return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

Why did I receive estimated payments to make for next years return? I work full-time for a large corporation and have never had an issue with appropriate taxes being withheld. I am concerned that i've mucked something up with my return.

If you owe money, then TurboTax will include the vouchers automatically.  If you don't owe -- and don't customarily make estimated payments -- then you can just shred the vouchers.  They're printed as a convenience; you aren't required to use them.

Making estimated payments is entirely up to you, though IRS & states will charge you penalties if you owe above a certain amount (based on previous year's tax liability and current year amount paid in).  I don't know exactly why TurboTax will sometimes print them if you don't owe.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

If you owe money, then TurboTax will include the vouchers automatically.  If you don't owe -- and don't customarily make estimated payments -- then you can just shred the vouchers.  They're printed as a convenience; you aren't required to use them.

Making estimated payments is entirely up to you, though IRS & states will charge you penalties if you owe above a certain amount (based on previous year's tax liability and current year amount paid in).  I don't know exactly why TurboTax will sometimes print them if you don't owe.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies