turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Had an HSA in '17 and am wondering if it will still be absolute $0, or if there will be a charge to file my taxes through Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Had an HSA in '17 and am wondering if it will still be absolute $0, or if there will be a charge to file my taxes through Turbo Tax?

If you (or your employer) contributed to or took distributions from (ie, paid for medical expenses) your HSA in 2017, the IRS requires you to add form 8889 to your return to report on the HSA. The IRS also requires that form 8889 be attached to the 1040, the most complex of the returns.

For this reason, TurboTax requires Deluxe or higher version to complete your return. This is not covered under the free version.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you (or your employer) contributed to or took distributions from (ie, paid for medical expenses) your HSA in 2017, the IRS requires you to add form 8889 to your return to report on the HSA. The IRS also requires that form 8889 be attached to the 1040, the most complex of the returns.

For this reason, TurboTax requires Deluxe or higher version to complete your return. This is not covered under the free version.

Unfortunately I won't be using TurboTax for this tax season. Since I had an HSA last year I won't qualify for the free service so I have to go to the competitor Jackson Hewitt since they're offering $100 for new accounts. Either that or I'll be doing them myself.
Thanks for answering my question directly and in a timely manner.

Competitors are allowing those with an HSA to file free.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies