turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mickeyl

TT is asking if 5a or 5b is checked on my 2017 schedule A ? I stated that I itemized in 2017 (1040) (previously ask question) for NC state refund

I do not know how to proceed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
mickeyl

TT is asking if 5a or 5b is checked on my 2017 schedule A ? I stated that I itemized in 2017 (1040) (previously ask question) for NC state refund

I thank all of you, it was my error. I did not do my income tax in 2017 (medical reasons) AARP completed it. They selected Standard deductions. I did not recall it? I guess I will blame it on old age.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

If you Itemized on your 2017 federal return you should have a schedule A.  You need to look at schedule A.  

It wants to know about line 5 on a schedule A to see if your state refund is taxable.

A State Tax Refund is taxable if you itemized deductions on that prior year's federal return and took a deduction for state income taxes instead of the sale tax.  You got a deduction benefit for it so now you have to include it as income. If you took the standard deduction or filed a 1040EZ or 1040A it is not taxable and you don't need to report it.

If you filed a 1040 how much is on line 40?
mickeyl

schedule A was not included with my copy of the 1040 forms ?  thank you for your accurate information.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

As VolvoGirl said, if you didn't itemize, and used the Standard Deductions in 2017, the refund does not need to be reported. Thank you for using TurboTax.
mickeyl

I thank all of you, it was my error. I did not do my income tax in 2017 (medical reasons) AARP completed it. They selected Standard deductions. I did not recall it? I guess I will blame it on old age.

KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If you itemized on your 2017 Federal tax return, get the 2017 Schedule A that was included with (attached to) your 2017 tax return and look at line 5. Either Box 5a or Box 5b will be checked. 

mickeyl

yes! AARP completed my 2017 taxes (medical reasons) they selected the standard deductions (no schedule A) I did not remember! sorry!
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I'm glad it worked out. Thank you for using TurboTax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies