turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my wage statement has a TIN # and not an EIN#, what should I do? It will not accept TIN#. Employer has since died.

Need a EIN to file but dont have. only have TIN.

What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MaryEllen

If my wage statement has a TIN # and not an EIN#, what should I do? It will not accept TIN#. Employer has since died.

If you have worked for this employer in the past, look at those W-2s to see if you have an EIN. Otherwise, print and mail the  tax return.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

A TIN is a taxpayer identification number which is your SSN on a wage statement.  You won't be able to e-file a return with a W-2 without an EIN (employer identification number).  Here are instructions for filing a substitute W-2 which you will have to file by mail.  How do I file a 4852 substitute w-2

If you are entering a 1099-MISC - Make sure you are choosing the correct format of the ID number.  On some forms, you have to specify whether the federal ID number is in an EIN (XX-XXXXXXX) format or SSN (XXX-XX-XXXX) format.  It might be the format and not the actual number that is causing the problem.  See image below.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies