turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I gifted a customer $500 last year. Do I note that as a refund/rebate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Neither. A gift is just that - a gift. Same as if you purchased a $500 birthday present for your neighbor's child. Nothing gets reported anywhere, to any taxing authority.

If you file a Sch C then the "gift" is a personal expense and cannot be deducted on the Sch C. 

If the Gift was to a customer, you can deduct $25 per person (per year) as a business expense.

Thank you for your response. I used the word "gift" although I truly don't know how to categorize this. A customer who was going through a difficult time needed assistance, so I gave/lent/donated them $500 with expectation that they would pay it back or possibly do some work for me to work it off. Neither has transpired and I'm looking to see how I can write it off as a loss?
Carl
Level 15

If you did at least $500 worth of business with that customer in the tax year, then you can enter the "refunded" amount in the COGS section (I'm assuming you have inventory) in the "Returns and Allowances" box.

I don't have inventory. I sell insurance, but yes I did make more than $500 from them last year. Thanks again in advance.

You can't deduct income you never received.  You will just have less income to be taxed on.  You take the loss by still deducting all your expenses but not your time or labor.  Unless you entered the full amount before the discount as income, then you can deduct the discount under Advertising or Misc Expense.

Now it sounds like you made a loan.

Was the purpose of the loan to further your business (such as keeping the client)?
Have you diligently tried to collect this loan?
Carl
Level 15

As I understand it, in order to be able to deduct an unpaid or uncollectable loan, the lender needs to issue the borrower a 1099-C. Of course, all this would require the loan have been a legally written agreement with the payback method, timeframe and options clearly spelled out.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies