turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bodden51

I filed my 2016 taxes by e-file and did not have my W-2 form from one of my employers, I have located that information by internet and have tried to submit it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filed my 2016 taxes by e-file and did not have my W-2 form from one of my employers, I have located that information by internet and have tried to submit it.

If you efiled your original return and it was accepted without the additional W-2, you must amend your return to enter it.

If your return is rejected by the IRS, you can correct the problem and fix the reason for rejection and re-efile your return. If your return is accepted by the IRS, you must prepare, print, sign and mail an amended tax return form 1040X to correct the problem. 

DO NOT change your original tax return until you start the amended return. If you have already changed it from the way it was originally filed and accepted, you must change it back before you start the amended return. Wait until you receive the refund from your original return before beginning your amended return to make sure you enter the correct amount. An amended return cannot be efiled. Here is an FAQ to help you:                                                                  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you efiled your original return and it was accepted without the additional W-2, you must amend your return to enter it.

If your return is rejected by the IRS, you can correct the problem and fix the reason for rejection and re-efile your return. If your return is accepted by the IRS, you must prepare, print, sign and mail an amended tax return form 1040X to correct the problem. 

DO NOT change your original tax return until you start the amended return. If you have already changed it from the way it was originally filed and accepted, you must change it back before you start the amended return. Wait until you receive the refund from your original return before beginning your amended return to make sure you enter the correct amount. An amended return cannot be efiled. Here is an FAQ to help you:                                                                  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies