Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to find out if someone has already claimed me as a dependent

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Giovanni

You e-file your tax return and get an IRS rejection notice stating that your dependent's Social Security number has already been used on another tax return. You double-check the number, resubmit, and get the same rejection again.

Sound familiar? This frustrating situation is actually quite common. The IRS won't accept an e-filed tax return that contains a Social Security number already claimed on a previously e-filed tax return.

Typically, this happens when:

• Another taxpayer (such as an ex-spouse) claimed the same dependent and e-filed before you did;
  • Your college student already e-filed their tax return and claimed themself before you could claim them on your tax return;
  • An unrelated taxpayer, accidentally or otherwise, entered your dependent's Social Security number on their return and e-filed.

Note: If you believe someone may have filed a fraudulent return using your dependent's Social Security number, call the IRS Identify Theft Hotline at 1-800-908-4490 right away.

Now what?
  • If you claimed the dependent by mistake, just delete them from your return (go back to the Personal Info section), then e-file again.
  • In the case of a parent qualified to claim an adult child or child away at college, whoever files first can e-file. Whoever files second will either have to remove the dependent (or themself as an exemption), or file a paper return.
    • If the child is claimed on both filings, the IRS will eventually contact both parties and one of them will need to file an amended return, plus pay any additional taxes, penalties, and/or interest that may have resulted from the false claim.
  • If you believe that you have the right to claim a dependent claimed by someone else, then go ahead and file a paper return.
    • The IRS will process your return as usual.
    • Eventually, the IRS will contact both parties and one of them will need to file an amended return, plus pay any additional taxes, penalties, and/or interest that may have resulted from the false claim.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Can you find out and tell me who has claimed me as soon as possible.I don't have access to a phone or else I would do it myself...This matter is very urgent to me...Please get back to me as soon as possible

I need to find out if some one claimed me on 1/25/17 jodymcgregor
prissy-

I need to find this out also how can I?

Did my ex husband claim me if so does he owe me
sony1216

Dorothy Sonya Mcchristian

I need to know if my child was clamed

I need to know who file me on taxes 2017
e2405786

Not me my son
drake997

Did somebody file taxes on in 2017
Giovanni

You e-file your tax return and get an IRS rejection notice stating that your dependent's Social Security number has already been used on another tax return. You double-check the number, resubmit, and get the same rejection again.

Sound familiar? This frustrating situation is actually quite common. The IRS won't accept an e-filed tax return that contains a Social Security number already claimed on a previously e-filed tax return.

Typically, this happens when:

• Another taxpayer (such as an ex-spouse) claimed the same dependent and e-filed before you did;
  • Your college student already e-filed their tax return and claimed themself before you could claim them on your tax return;
  • An unrelated taxpayer, accidentally or otherwise, entered your dependent's Social Security number on their return and e-filed.

Note: If you believe someone may have filed a fraudulent return using your dependent's Social Security number, call the IRS Identify Theft Hotline at 1-800-908-4490 right away.

Now what?
  • If you claimed the dependent by mistake, just delete them from your return (go back to the Personal Info section), then e-file again.
  • In the case of a parent qualified to claim an adult child or child away at college, whoever files first can e-file. Whoever files second will either have to remove the dependent (or themself as an exemption), or file a paper return.
    • If the child is claimed on both filings, the IRS will eventually contact both parties and one of them will need to file an amended return, plus pay any additional taxes, penalties, and/or interest that may have resulted from the false claim.
  • If you believe that you have the right to claim a dependent claimed by someone else, then go ahead and file a paper return.
    • The IRS will process your return as usual.
    • Eventually, the IRS will contact both parties and one of them will need to file an amended return, plus pay any additional taxes, penalties, and/or interest that may have resulted from the false claim.

If you could please find out who has claimed me as a dependent because I do not have access to a phone and need to know who claimed me...If it is my sister Patricia McGee that will be fine

Jonnie Macon
kph72

Did someone try to claim me my son has permission to and only him

There is no way to know and even the IRS won’t tell you.  Why do you think someone did?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies