turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should I do if a spouse doesn't give any info about her/him income? (married filing separately). Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

What should I do if a spouse doesn't give any info about her/him income? (married filing separately). Thanks.

If you cannot get them to share their 2015 AGI amount with you, you will not be able to include that amount of AGI when asked and ultimately your tax return will be rejected when you go to efile.  The IRS requires everyone to include their AGI's from the prior year, and married filing separately individuals to indicate their spouse's AGI, in an effort to prevent the fraudulent filing of income tax returns using other people's social security numbers.  So, if they will not tell you what their AGI was,the only option for you is to print, sign, date and mail in your tax return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SeanE1

If you cannot get them to share their 2015 AGI amount with you, you will not be able to include that amount of AGI when asked and ultimately your tax return will be rejected when you go to efile.  The IRS requires everyone to include their AGI's from the prior year, and married filing separately individuals to indicate their spouse's AGI, in an effort to prevent the fraudulent filing of income tax returns using other people's social security numbers.  So, if they will not tell you what their AGI was,the only option for you is to print, sign, date and mail in your tax return.

Thanks a lot for your answer. The family didn't file taxes in  2015 because they came to the states in 2016 and now filing 2016
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies