turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am filing married/jointly for the first time. We both filed as single last year. Do I combine our totals to fill in the info about 2015 tae form? (re: is refund taxable

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I am filing married/jointly for the first time. We both filed as single last year. Do I combine our totals to fill in the info about 2015 tae form? (re: is refund taxable

If you both Itemized deductions, then yes you should combine your totals to determine if state refunds are taxable.  If neither one of you itemized and the other didn't, just use the amount from the one that itemized.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

If you both Itemized deductions, then yes you should combine your totals to determine if state refunds are taxable.  If neither one of you itemized and the other didn't, just use the amount from the one that itemized.

Thank you!
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.  Thanks for using TurboTax!

Do you put in the combined federal return info also from both spouses on the following screen once you state that both spouses itemized on their prior year's returns? It auto populates with only my info.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies