How do I upgrade from Turbo Tax Free File to Turbo Tax Premier.

sucks, first you cancel the 1098-t, then you make me start over???? BAD

Wow!  I spent 5 hours trying to upgrade Turbo Tax  free version to get my 2017 return.  There are lots of instructions online on how to do this.  However,  all it does is send you in endless circles!  I was really close to going mad!!!  We need it for a mortgage application.  Now I see all these posts!  I am so grateful that I am not crazy after all!  It does seem to me that Turbo Tax should be making this perfectly clear!  Don't waste 5 or 6 hours!  It cannot be done!  My question now is even if I create a new account,  how will I find my 2017 tax return?  Guess I'm contacting the IRS!  Thank you for posting this! Ugh how frustrating!

I am very late filing my taxes.  This is one reason.  I kept thinking I was doing something wrong.  Please place a WARNING LABEL stating you cannot get out of the free file into the pay unless you completely redo everything.  

TT Free File (f/k/a Tax Freedom) is not the same as TT Free.

roberta
A workaround to keep from starting over is to download the *.tax2018 data file from the TurboTax Free File Program and then open and finish it in purchased desktop software.   Then one would not have to start over.
To download the data file, you would go to the Tax Tools menu, then Tools.

If you want to go that route, here's where to purchase the desktop software directly from TurboTax.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/...>

I left more info in a new answer on this page.

You need to fix this problem. I never thought I was free filing and wanted to pay. H&R, here I come

If you are using TurboTax Free File Program, you cannot upgrade to a paid edition in that same account.

You would either have to start over at the regular Online TurboTax website in a new online account (new User ID), or you can use the following workaround to keep from having to start over.

You can download the *.tax2018 data file from your TurboTax Free File Program by going to the Tax Tools, then Tools.

So first be sure you can download that file.  Then you can open the 2018 data file in purchased desktop software (CD/download).   You can buy the desktop software directly from TurboTax at this link:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Or you may be able to find it at a reputable authorized online retailer like Amazon, Staples, OfficeDepot, Newegg.  Do NOT use an Internet search for a "too good to be true" deal, since there are many pirated software sites or possible malware, ID theft, etc.  Only a few big well-known companies like those I mentioned are authorized to sell TurboTax downloads.

NOTE:  If your downloaded *.tax2018 data file has a state return in it, then you should download your state program into the desktop software before opening the data file, or you'll get an error message.    To do that,  you can start a new dummy fake return in the desktop software just long enough to download the state program into the software.

All of the desktop products can prepare the same forms.  They differ mainly in the amount of help and guidance.  However Basic and Deluxe have a couple of differences.

Deluxe desktop comes in 2 versions--one that is Federal-only, and one that is a combo Federal and State.  So if you use Deluxe, be sure you are buying the right one if you need a state program.    When purchased directly from TurboTax, it is the combo Fed and State version.  If purchased elsewhere, you have to be careful.

The Basic Edition does not come with a state program and cannot import from ItsDeductible.

The Premier and Home and Business editions both include a state program.

In the desktop editions there is a 24.99 fee to efile a state return, except no efile fee for New York state.  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

Please follow this FAQ on how to upgrade to Turbotax Premier. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3335307

I've spent the last hour going in circles trying to figure out how to upgrade to plus. I followed the directions, which I swear there are 50 different versions out there, but have made zero progress! I need to see my 2016 return for financial aid applications, but I am more confused now then I was when I started!! It's ridiculous!

@Love2my3  You posted to a thread that is not related to your problem. Post a new question in a fresh new thread to get help with this issue. 

Oh, I'm sorry! This was my first post, and I had been reading posts similar to mine, so I'm not sure how I messed it up! Sorry!