turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wdaniell
Returning Member

I will have a remaining 2018 tax liability. I have already paid much more than my 2017 tax. Do I have to pay a quarterly tax in January, or can I wait until April?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I will have a remaining 2018 tax liability. I have already paid much more than my 2017 tax. Do I have to pay a quarterly tax in January, or can I wait until April?

IF you are saying, "I've paid more in taxes than (for most people) the tax shown on line 63 of my 2017 income tax return", THEN you've probably paid enough in taxes to not be "underpaid" when you file your 2018 income tax return and pay the tax due.

The word "probably" is in that sentence because the "safe harbor" you're trying to get into is this one:

"You may avoid a penalty for underpayment of estimated taxes if you pay at least 90 percent of your total tax on this year’s return (2018 return) or at least 100 percent of the total tax shown on last year’s return (2017 return). If your adjusted gross income for 2017 was more than $150,000 ($75,000 if your 2018 filing status is married filing a separate return), substitute 110 percent for 100 percent."

Details matter in these things and no one here knows those details.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies