Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have already paid. Why does it still show a balance?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I have already paid. Why does it still show a balance?

If you are referring to the tax homepage after you filed your return, this amount due does not update to reflect the payments you made to the IRS.  So, if you owed $500 on your return and made the payment, the tax homepage will always show that you owed $500 on your return

If you mean that you made estimated tax payments during the year to offset your tax liability, then make sure that you enter these payments in TurboTax.

Here is how you can enter your estimated taxes paid in 2018 (Form 1040ES)  - note that you will enter all of your estimated quarterly taxes paid in this section including federal, state, and local.
  • Log into your account and click Take Me to My Return (you must click this first)
  • Use the search feature in the top right-hand corner of your screen (or search topics/bar if using desktop)
  • Search for "estimated tax payments" and click the "jump to" link.  
  • This will bring you right to the appropriate section to enter all of your estimated taxes paid
Or, you can also find the section by clicking on the following tabs:

• Federal Taxes
  • Deductions and Credits
  • You may have to click “Ill Choose what to work on” or "Show All" or "Check for More Credits" to get full list to appear
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid (you may need to scroll down all the way past your "common" tax breaks list that will appear in your summary)
  • Scroll down to Estimates
  • Enter your 2018 Paid Estimated Taxes 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies