turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I will not be claiming any dependents for my 2019 tax return and I bought a house in 2019 would I file single or head of household?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I will not be claiming any dependents for my 2019 tax return and I bought a house in 2019 would I file single or head of household?

Head of household is a special status mostly for single parents or custody situations.  You must pay more than half the cost of the home you live in, and you must support at least one qualifying dependent in that home.   It doesn’t have anything to do with what kind of home you live in, and it doesn’t have anything to do with being the “head“ of your home in the ordinary use of the word.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you are not legally married and do not have any dependents being claimed on your tax return then you can only file as Single.  Or are you the custodial parent and the other parent is claiming your children as dependents on their tax return in 2019?

Head of household is a special status mostly for single parents or custody situations.  You must pay more than half the cost of the home you live in, and you must support at least one qualifying dependent in that home.   It doesn’t have anything to do with what kind of home you live in, and it doesn’t have anything to do with being the “head“ of your home in the ordinary use of the word.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies