turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I halve the SLCSP amount obtained from the healthcare.gov website, and input that halved amount into column B for each spouse on the 1095-A section of TurboTax?

I'm having trouble understanding how to properly input the SLCSP amount into Turbotax.  My wife and I both have ACA policies and both were covered all year from Jan-Dec.  Column A on both of our 1095-A forms have $333.86 for each month of column A.  Column B for SLCSP is blank on our 1095-A forms.  Column C is also blank.

I've gone to this site ( https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/  ) to get our SLCSP amount, and for the household of 2 that monthly amount is $840.84 for form 8962.

Do I split this $840.84 amount and input half ($420.42) in column B for each month on each separate 1095-A in the Turbotax entry area?  Or do I put $840.84 on one and leave the other blank?  Is there some other area where I'm supposed to input the $840.84 monthly SLCSP amount into Turbotax?  I tried to look at form 8962 form in Turbotax to see what is happening, but can't tell if it's updating.  (edit:  how I enter the SLCSP amount significantly impacts tax result).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I halve the SLCSP amount obtained from the healthcare.gov website, and input that halved amount into column B for each spouse on the 1095-A section of TurboTax?

If you are filing a Joint return, enter the $840.84 on each of your 1095-A worksheets.

Because they will be the same number, TurboTax SHOULD know what to do with that.  When you are finished with your tax return, check form 8962 to verify it is using the $840.84 amount (actually, if all months are the same, it will show the annual amount of $10,090 on Line 11 ... well, almost, because TurboTax does not understand how to properly round numbers).

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you are filing a Joint return, enter the $840.84 on each of your 1095-A worksheets.

Because they will be the same number, TurboTax SHOULD know what to do with that.  When you are finished with your tax return, check form 8962 to verify it is using the $840.84 amount (actually, if all months are the same, it will show the annual amount of $10,090 on Line 11 ... well, almost, because TurboTax does not understand how to properly round numbers).

Thanks TaxGuyBill.  If that's so, I think I may have done this completely wrongly last year and overpaid by quite a bit.  :(   Thanks so much for the reply.

Check your 8962 for last year.  If it is wrong, then you may want to amend.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed"...>

Bill, what you suggest looks correct.  The software seems to add up both column A 1095-A columns into form 8962 (it adds $333.86x24 into the total for column A), but only adds one of the column B totals (840.84x12).  So halving the SLCSP column B total like I was going to do looks like it would've been wrong thing to do because Turbotax only seems to take a single column B from the 1095-A.  Your response helped be trace that through onto 8962.  Much appreciated. Very helpful.  😉

I'm glad I could help.

Hi Bill, I'm coming back a year later to read your post again.  😉  This post is so helpful!  Thank you again 😉
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies