turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The Foreign Taxes section is not updating information on the information I enter. It stays as zero $0, no matter what I do. Could you please advise?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

The Foreign Taxes section is not updating information on the information I enter. It stays as zero $0, no matter what I do. Could you please advise?

What type of foreign tax did you pay?

personal income tax
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If you are entering foreign tax on wages, if they are on a W-2 you need to first enter the W-2 in the W-2 section of TurboTax and indicate that you worked outside the US.

If you did not have a W-2, you need to enter your UK wages under foreign earned income exclusion section in TurboTax (enter foreign income in the search box at the top of your screen and click the Jump to link).  This will take you to Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion under Less Common Income under Wages & Income.

After you enter your foreign income in this section a few screens later it will ask you, Would You Like to Try and Exclude Your Foreign Earned Income?  If you do not wish to use the exclusion, then click NO, I know I don't qualify to exclude my income.  (Please note that if you have been using the foreign earned income exclusion in previous years and do not use it this year, you in effect have revoked it and cannot use it for another 5 years).

To report your foreign taxes paid on wages for foreign tax credit:

1. Click on Deductions & Credits
  2. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  3. Scroll down to Foreign Taxes
  4. Click 'Yes" you paid foreign taxes
  5. Click through the screens regarding foreign interest and dividends
  6. Click yes that you have reported all your foreign income already in TurboTax
  7. Click that you want to take a credit
  8. Answer question about the Simplified Limitation Election
  9. Choose income type for wages - it will be General category income
  10. Add your country name as the country
  11. Enter description -Foreign county wages
  12. Enter Income amount that you previously reported in TurboTax
  13. Enter your taxes you paid on your foreign wages in the box "Other income"
  14. You need to enter the Definitely Related Expenses and Other Deductions not Definitely Related
  15. Continue through ALL the foreign tax credit screens until done.

According to the instructions for Form 1116, https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1116.pdf

Line 2 Enter your deductions that definitely relate to the gross income from foreign sources shown on line 1a. For example, if you are an employee reporting foreign earned income on line 1a, include on line 2 expenses such as those incurred to move to a new principal place of work outside the United States or supplies you bought for your job outside the United States.

Lines 3a and 3b
Some deductions don't definitely relate to either your foreign source income or your U.S. source income. Enter on lines 3a and 3b any deductions (other than interest expense) that: • Aren't shown on line 2, and • Aren't definitely related to your U.S. source income.

Line 3a. Enter the following itemized deductions (from Schedule A (Form 1040)) on line 3a. • Medical expenses (line 4). • General sales taxes (line 5). • Real estate taxes for your home (line 6). If you don't itemize deductions, enter your standard deduction on line 3a.

Line 3b. Enter on line 3b any other deductions that don't definitely relate to any specific type of income (for example, the deduction for alimony paid from Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 31a)

vjcisk

Does TurboTax allow to upload a PDF form to show the foreign tax paid? I was told that "If you are taking a credit for other foreign taxes paid or accrued in Part II, column (p), then you must attach a statement identifying these taxes."

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately you cannot add an attachment to an e-filed tax return. TurboTax doesn't provide this feature.  Your best (I think only) choice is to print and file the return by mail, including the attachment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies