turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stefaniem

I lost my w2 for one of my jobs, I will qualify for a refund do I have to file an extension while waiting on new copy of w2?

I have not filed yet, missing w2, have a pay stub from last pay period, can I file using that while waiting on new w2?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

I lost my w2 for one of my jobs, I will qualify for a refund do I have to file an extension while waiting on new copy of w2?

If you are certain that you will be receiving an income tax refund (both federal and state, if applicable), then you do not need to request a formal extension.

It is something of a popular myth that there is a penalty involved for filing (late) a tax return where a refund is due to the taxpayer; that is simply not true.  There is only a penalty imposed if the reverse is the case (i.e., taxpayer owes a liability).

Thus, it would be advisable for you to simply wait to file until your replacement W-2 arrives.  But please do not file your return until you do have that document.  Otherwise, filing a tax return without a W-2 raises a whole other set of issues.  You can read more about those matters here, if you would like:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3170112-can-i-file-my-taxes-without-a-w2

Thank you for asking this important question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

If you are certain that you will be receiving an income tax refund (both federal and state, if applicable), then you do not need to request a formal extension.

It is something of a popular myth that there is a penalty involved for filing (late) a tax return where a refund is due to the taxpayer; that is simply not true.  There is only a penalty imposed if the reverse is the case (i.e., taxpayer owes a liability).

Thus, it would be advisable for you to simply wait to file until your replacement W-2 arrives.  But please do not file your return until you do have that document.  Otherwise, filing a tax return without a W-2 raises a whole other set of issues.  You can read more about those matters here, if you would like:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3170112-can-i-file-my-taxes-without-a-w2

Thank you for asking this important question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies