Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't have an EIN # (payers identification number or social security number for small painting job I did for a neighbor...how do I go about reporting this money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmandaR1

I don't have an EIN # (payers identification number or social security number for small painting job I did for a neighbor...how do I go about reporting this money?

To file taxes you must have a social security or ITIN.

You can complete form W-7 from the IRS to apply for an ITIN if you qualify. Learn more and apply here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/individual-taxpayer-identification-number-itin

If you are an independent contractor/small business, you are only required to have an EIN if you pay employees.  You may want one to use instead of your SSN, but if you don't have employees your SSN is fine for a small business.

In Turbotax online, you would use the self-employed version.  Create a schedule C to list your job income and expenses.  You will owe self employment tax and income tax on the net profit from business.  If you were paid cash or checks and did not get a 1099-MISC form. just report the income as "other business income not on a 1099-MISC."  You are expected to keep your own accurate business records of your income and expenses.  You can also add any W-2s, other income, your personal deductions etc.  Your small business is included with your personal income and deductions on one overall tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies