turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am married with 1 child. why when i add my deductions such as mortgage interes and real estate tax the standard decuction gets higher then 24000.

why does the standard deduction go up when my expensive are higher then 24000.?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am married with 1 child. why when i add my deductions such as mortgage interes and real estate tax the standard decuction gets higher then 24000.

If you are adding expenses and seeing the number increase above $24,000, the program switched you from Standard Deduction to Itemized Deduction. You can claim one or the other, not both, but they are both reported on line 8 on your tax return. 

The Standard Deduction will not increase when you add Real Estate Taxes or Mortgage Interest, but your Itemized Deductions will. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are adding expenses and seeing the number increase above $24,000, the program switched you from Standard Deduction to Itemized Deduction. You can claim one or the other, not both, but they are both reported on line 8 on your tax return. 

The Standard Deduction will not increase when you add Real Estate Taxes or Mortgage Interest, but your Itemized Deductions will. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies