turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mikej

Can health insurance premiums be deducted to lower my taxable income if I purchased a health plan on my own and not through my employer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can health insurance premiums be deducted to lower my taxable income if I purchased a health plan on my own and not through my employer?

If you are able to Itemize your deductions, you can add medical premiums (for Medical and hospital insurance, not all insurance) paid with after tax dollars to Medical Expenses, which will appear on Schedule A (Itemized Deductions). For most versions of TurboTax, this appears under Deductions & Credits.

Note that your medical expenses must exceed a 10% of your AGI (7.5% if either of you are 65 or older, or for everyone in 2018 and 2019), so, unfortunately, many taxpayers do not get any benefit from trying to deduct medical expenses. But if you have a low AGI or a lot of other unreimbursed medical expenses, it may be worth it.

[Edited 4/2/2020 3:37 pm CDT - updated for 2019]

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are able to Itemize your deductions, you can add medical premiums (for Medical and hospital insurance, not all insurance) paid with after tax dollars to Medical Expenses, which will appear on Schedule A (Itemized Deductions). For most versions of TurboTax, this appears under Deductions & Credits.

Note that your medical expenses must exceed a 10% of your AGI (7.5% if either of you are 65 or older, or for everyone in 2018 and 2019), so, unfortunately, many taxpayers do not get any benefit from trying to deduct medical expenses. But if you have a low AGI or a lot of other unreimbursed medical expenses, it may be worth it.

[Edited 4/2/2020 3:37 pm CDT - updated for 2019]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies