turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kzlamal94

My child will be born in January 2017, and I will be pregnant since April 2016, can any of this reflect on my taxes? Or do I have to wait till 2018 taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My child will be born in January 2017, and I will be pregnant since April 2016, can any of this reflect on my taxes? Or do I have to wait till 2018 taxes.

A child can only be claimed for the tax year in which it is born.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

A child can only be claimed for the tax year in which it is born.

If you are able to itemize deductions, however, you may have allowable medical expenses that you pay in 2016 that you can deduct on your 2016 return.  The portion of medical expenses over 10% of AGI (7.5% for age 65 or older) can be deducted if there are enough total deductions to allow one to itemize; i.e., if the total of allowed itemized deductions exceeds your standard deduction.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies