Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i input U.S. government interest reported as dividends? Just as regular dividend income or something else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenaC

How do i input U.S. government interest reported as dividends? Just as regular dividend income or something else?

If this income is for Exempt-interest dividends, enter it in box 10 of your 1099-DIV entry form. 

See the screenshot below to expand your 1099-DIV.

To enter your 1099-DIV:

• With your tax return open, simply search for 1099-DIV or 1099DIV (lower-case also works) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  • Answer Yes to Did you receive any dividend income? and follow the onscreen instructions.

Tip: Check the box My form has info in more than just these boxes to expand the entry form if you need to enter boxes 2b through 11 (this is uncommon).

Related Information:

Is the US Government Interest from a savings bond that you redeemed, e.g., a Series EE Savings Bond and it is reported as Dividends?

IF yes, you should enter the amount on a Form 1099-INT Worksheet in Box 3. If you are in the Step-By-Step view, go to Federal Taxes, Wages and Income and select "I'll choose what I work on " then select Interest and Dividends on 1099-INT. Either Update or Start and follow the instructions to enter US Treasury Interest.

The 1099-INT forms and your data entry can also be reviewed by clicking on the Forms view in the upper right corner of the TurboTax screen and scrolling down to the 1099-INT form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies