Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bren9181

If there is a verbal agreement between my daughters dad and I for him to claim her for 2016 but she lived with me for 7 months do I need to send the irs any forms

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KenH1

If there is a verbal agreement between my daughters dad and I for him to claim her for 2016 but she lived with me for 7 months do I need to send the irs any forms

You do not need to send the IRS anything, but you should print, fill out, and sign form 8332 (see below) and send it to the other parent.  The other parent will send in the signed 8332 as well as an 8453 (which will help the IRS match it with his e-filed return)

The only other action on your part is to not claim your child as a dependent.  Input the child's information, and then the software will prompt you with "do you have an agreement with the other parent?"  This should result in an 8332 to be printed, but if not, print this one:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8332.pdf

Since the child lived with you for more than 6 months, you can still claim Head of Household (unless you remarried), the Child and Dependent Care Credit, and the Earned Income Tax Credit, if applicable.  The other parent would get the Child Tax Credit.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KenH1

You do not need to send the IRS anything, but you should print, fill out, and sign form 8332 (see below) and send it to the other parent.  The other parent will send in the signed 8332 as well as an 8453 (which will help the IRS match it with his e-filed return)

The only other action on your part is to not claim your child as a dependent.  Input the child's information, and then the software will prompt you with "do you have an agreement with the other parent?"  This should result in an 8332 to be printed, but if not, print this one:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8332.pdf

Since the child lived with you for more than 6 months, you can still claim Head of Household (unless you remarried), the Child and Dependent Care Credit, and the Earned Income Tax Credit, if applicable.  The other parent would get the Child Tax Credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies