turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm currently divorced for 2017 but for 2016 I'm filing Married filing separate. I don't have my ex wifes social security? what do I do?

why is it asking for my ex spouses info if I'm not filing together? I don't have her social
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Phillip1

I'm currently divorced for 2017 but for 2016 I'm filing Married filing separate. I don't have my ex wifes social security? what do I do?

If the divorce was final by 12/31, you can file as single on your tax return.

If the divorce was not final by the end of the year and you need to file as married filing separate, you can do the following if you cannot obtain your former spouses information:

1. Call the IRS at 800-908-9946, or use the IRS Order a Transcript tool to request a tax return transcript for the last year you filed a joint tax return. The transcript would have her social security number on it.
  2. File Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return to request the tax return transcript.
  3. In the worst case scenario, file your return by mail without her social security number and include a letter explaining that she refused to provide that information.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies