turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Teddey1

I received a 1099-PATR for land I purchased for personal use. However, I do lease some of the land to a local farmer. Do I need to claim the dividends as income?

I purchased 92 acres of land for personal use.  However, I lease 40 of it to a local farmer.  I claim the income from the lease on schedule e...  Do I need to claim the 1099-PATR and if so, where would I claim it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

I received a 1099-PATR for land I purchased for personal use. However, I do lease some of the land to a local farmer. Do I need to claim the dividends as income?

If the dividends reported in box 1 of your 1099-PATR is for on property purchased for personal use you do not have to report them.

The instructions for form 1099-PATR state “Any dividends paid on (1) property bought for personal use or (2) capital assets or depreciable property used in your business are not taxable. However, if (2) applies, reduce the basis of the assets by this amount.”

You would need to allocate the dividends received and make an adjustment to your cost basis for the portion of dividends that relate to the land that you lease. This will affect your gain or loss when you sell the property. However, none of these dividends get reported as income in your tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Fern

If the dividends reported in box 1 of your 1099-PATR is for on property purchased for personal use you do not have to report them.

The instructions for form 1099-PATR state “Any dividends paid on (1) property bought for personal use or (2) capital assets or depreciable property used in your business are not taxable. However, if (2) applies, reduce the basis of the assets by this amount.”

You would need to allocate the dividends received and make an adjustment to your cost basis for the portion of dividends that relate to the land that you lease. This will affect your gain or loss when you sell the property. However, none of these dividends get reported as income in your tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies