Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If someone claims me as a dependent can i still file taxes

How do I put it on my taxes that I was claimed as a dependent on my mother’s taxes 

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If someone claims me as a dependent can i still file taxes

@Iyanaharris In My Info you are asked if you can be claimed as a dependent on anyone else's tax return.  You just answer Yes.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Im upset.I filed and my son filed taxes.My taxes were rejected and he checked that someonelse can file him.Why then didnt his info get recognised that I could file him as depedant?

If he said someone else can claim him and you claimed him, and your return is being rejected, it is possible his SSN was used by someone else--even by accident.  The rejection for the use of a SSN comes from the IRS---so it means somehow his SSN has been put into the system by someone.  There is not a way to overcome that rejection when it happens.  The only way to file your return claiming him is to print, sign, and mail your own return. Sorry.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hi! 

I have a couple questions. Firstly, I am 20 years old and a full time college student. I filed my taxes as an independent for the first time this year but did check the box that says I CAN be claimed as a dependent. Neither of my parents claimed me, though. I also filed my 1098-T through my own taxes. If I checked the box that says I can be claimed as dependent but wasn't (I pay all of my own bills and for my own school), then am I still going to be considered an independent tax payer? I'm specifically wondering for my stimulus eligibility. 

Thank you!!! 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If you do not live at home, and your parents do not provide more than half of your support, then the cannot claim you so the next time you file, you want to be sure to not check that box.

In all likelihood, an economic impact payment advance is not going to be sent to you immediately, since you indicated that you can be claimed as a dependent.  I realize that may not be welcome news, but there is not likely much that you can do to fix it- at least not timely. 

You can try to file an amended tax return but these have to be sent by mail and they are not currently being processed.  It is not yet know if, upon processing, payments would be released. 

The payment is technically an advance of a credit that is reconciled on your 2020 tax return. So, if you are eligible and yours doesn't arrive before you file your 2020 tax return, you will be able to claim it then.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
alyjoao

I made a mistake in my 2019 tax, I filed as an independent, but I am dependent on my stepfather, how can I fix this?

If my grandson claimed on his taxes can I file 2019 tax form

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If your grandson claimed you on his tax return, you won't be able to electronically file since your social security number has already been processed on a tax return.  However, if he claimed you in error, you can still file a tax return by mail.  That would mean that he would need to file an amended return to remove you from his tax return (and repay any tax benefit he received) .   He has 3 years to do that if you file your own tax return.    If you file a return yourself (and don't indicate that you can be claimed by someone else) - the IRS won't allow that - you can only be claimed on one tax return.  

It is possible that he qualifies to claim you as a dependent and you can still file a tax return to get a refund of taxes withheld - but in this case, you would indicate on your tax return that you can be claimed by someone else.      @248   - - See the FAQ below to see if in fact your grandson was allowed to claim you....

A dependent doesn't always have to be your child. Dependents come in all shapes, sizes and relationships. If all of the statements below are true, you can claim someone as a dependent.

• Relationship: The person lives in your home for the entire year and is considered to be a member of your household. If they don't live with you, they need to be related to you.
  • Income: Generally, their income is less than $4,200 (not including Social Security and welfare).
  • Support: Generally, you provide more than half the person's support.
  • Marital status: Generally, a dependent can't do their taxes with a spouse (married filing jointly). They also can't be a dependent on someone else's return.
  • Nationality: The person is a United States citizen; or a resident or national of the U.S., Canada or Mexico.

Still not sure? We'll ask you questions in TurboTax to help you figure out who you can claim as a dependent.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am 23 years old and would like to file as a not being a dependent on my parent's tax return. (They agree not to file my name as a dependent on their return, if I am eligible.)

I finished my senior year at college and now in grad school.

Last spring 2019: I lived mostly on a scholarship and also from some money my parents provided.

Summer 2019: I stayed with my parents.

Fall 2019: I lived off a stipend from my grad school for my PhD.

Not sure how to file because I saw this in an IRS document

"Scholarships:

A scholarship received by a child who is a student isn't taken into account in determining whether the child provided more than half of his or her own support."

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2019_publink[phone number removed

But also on that same IRS website I saw this :

"Earned income (only for purposes of filing requirements and the standard deduction) also includes any part of a taxable scholarship."

Concerned that this might mean I can not say I am not an dependent.  

If anyone can please shed some light this, would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

you are a qualifying child ( your parent's dependent) if all these tests are net

Qualifying child

• your related which is true
  •  you have the same principal abode as your parent's for more than ½ the tax year.  Temporary absences like for school are ignored
  • If not a full-time student, under 19 at the end of the tax year.  If a full-time student under 24 at the end of tax year.  

Full -time means an individual who during each of 5 calendar months during the calendar year in which the taxable year of the taxpayer begins is a full-time student at an educational organization described in section 170(b)(1)(A)(ii), or is pursuing a full-time course of institutional on-farm training under the supervision of an accredited agent of an educational organization described in or of a State or political subdivision of a State.

• you haven't provided over ½ your own support

you are correct about scholarships.  however, to see if the support test is met or failed use worksheet 2 in pub 501.

don't forget that the part of the costs of maintaining their home for you is support provided by them

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-501

So, in other words, I can not file as a non-dependent even if my parents do not put me as a dependent on their tax return, correct? 

Why not?

Can you please direct me to an IRS publication that clearly explains this?

Thank you so much!

Also, I have been looking at Worksheet 2 in IRS Publication 501 where there are some terms not defined. 

For instance: 

"Expenses for Entire Household (where the person you supported lived)":

•Since I was at school, is my parents' home considered where I (the person they supported) lived or should I be putting the cost of my room at school for these questions? (It was covered by my scholarship in the spring, by a university stipend in the fall). 

•As mentioned earlier, in 501 it says "A scholarship received by a child who is a student isn't taken into account in determining whether the child provided more than half of his or her own support." 

Is a scholarship considered the same as a stipend?

Thank you for your responses. 

@DawnC @Anonymous @alyjoao @248 for above questions...thank you!

Lab6661
Returning Member

im on SSD and I don't normally do taxes. I don't ow anything and I don't get anything. My spouse has claimed me in the past but I didn't know that he was still coming me.  2018, 2019 ,2020 should not have been a dependent on anyone's taxes. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies