turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lisa4

My daughter was a full time student for 1/2 the year and had a baby. 9 months into the year she bought a house. Can I claim her as a dependent and can she claim her baby? I still prvided my daughters support

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My daughter was a full time student for 1/2 the year and had a baby. 9 months into the year she bought a house. Can I claim her as a dependent and can she claim her baby? I still prvided my daughters support

If she was a full-time student, under age 24, and did not provide over half of her own support for the year, yes, she is probably your dependent.

If she is your dependent, no, she can not claim her baby.  However, you may be able to.  Follow the instructions in TurboTax and it should guide you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If she was a full-time student, under age 24, and did not provide over half of her own support for the year, yes, she is probably your dependent.

If she is your dependent, no, she can not claim her baby.  However, you may be able to.  Follow the instructions in TurboTax and it should guide you.

She bought a house?  Did you buy it for her?  How could she buy a house if you are supporting her?  That might count as her providing her own support.
Lisa4

She went to school full time for a little more than 1/2 the year and worked part time.  My daughter is very responsible and saved all of her money and the little money she did make she bought her baby what she needed and took care of the baby along with baby's daddy.  The two of them together bought a house in September (9 months into the year).  With all that being said, I still provided all support for her living expenses for nine months.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies