Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

frango80

Will an incorrect address on my W-2 create a problem because it doesn't match my personal info in TurboTax?

If my w2 has an incorrect home address, and I enter my correct one while working on the income/w2 section, will it create a problem because it's not exactly the same as on my w2? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Will an incorrect address on my W-2 create a problem because it doesn't match my personal info in TurboTax?

No, it won't create a problem. Don't worry if your mailing address on your W-2 form is wrong or has since changed; this won't affect your taxes. Just make sure you've entered your current mailing address in the Personal Info section of TurboTax.

If you expect to get another W-2 from the same employer next year, ask their payroll department to update your address so next year's W-2 doesn't get lost in the mail.

On the other hand, if your name, Social Security number, or any dollar amount(s) on your W-2 are wrong, ask your employer for a corrected W-2 (also known as Form W-2c: Corrected Wage and Tax Statement).

View solution in original post

18 Replies
frango80

So effectively, the home address that I'm entering into tt for my w2 does not match the one that's on my paper w2. Is that okay?
MichaelDC

Perfectly OK. Just remember to notify your employer to update for next year. Hope this helps.
MichaelDC

No, it won't create a problem. Don't worry if your mailing address on your W-2 form is wrong or has since changed; this won't affect your taxes. Just make sure you've entered your current mailing address in the Personal Info section of TurboTax.

If you expect to get another W-2 from the same employer next year, ask their payroll department to update your address so next year's W-2 doesn't get lost in the mail.

On the other hand, if your name, Social Security number, or any dollar amount(s) on your W-2 are wrong, ask your employer for a corrected W-2 (also known as Form W-2c: Corrected Wage and Tax Statement).

yes i need help for that becase i was changing a address i awas living before thats why i dont gat my W-2 from work and when i go to ask the  poeple that they live in the house now they always said they never see an W-2 in mailling before my adress was [removed] and my new adress is [removed]   i was working on pilgrims sanford NC and XLC service brown summit NC and popeys louisiana kitchen 1100 bessemar avenue NC ineed help to fid my W-2 on my new adress i put over ther please.

kws3
Level 2

I see that the recommendation is to use your new address in the personal section, but I would like clarification on the address if I am entering my w-2 by hand. Do I duplicate the address as it was on the W-2 (my old address) so that what I enter matches the w-2 issued, or not?

The address on the W-2 makes no difference.   Just enter the address in the personal information section  where you receive your mail.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

You can put whatever address you like when making the W-2 entries - as long as your name and SSN are correct, then the tax  information will get processed correctly. In your W-2 interview, use the address shown on the W-2 but make sure the address in your Personal Info section is the most current..

People move constantly and employers make mistakes in their payroll forms and systems.  For those reasons, many W-2s have incorrect or outdated address information. Only your name, SSN and the actual wage and tax numbers are important to get right on your W-2 and return.

@kws3

kws3
Level 2

Thank you!

sk273471

So, I've been living in Philadelphia and my last employer had my address in the city but all my other accounts/documents will show my parents home. Will this cause any issue when doing my taxes? 

@sk273471 People move all the time.  The address on your W-2 will not affect how the IRS processes your tax return.    When you file your tax return use the address where you want to receive mail from the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If my work has my wrong address will my W2 get send to that address ? Or will it get sent to the others ? 

@Babydean1105 If your employer has the wrong address you still have time to give them the correct address.  They have until January 31 to issue your W-2.   Get busy and make sure every employer you worked for in 2021 has the right address to send your W-2 to.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
aazin

I'm curious, how does it not affect your taxes?

If your W2 address has a different state than your new address which state tax will you pay?

@aazin People move all the time.   You file a tax return for federal and for the state in which you lived when you received the income.  If you moved at some time during the tax year, then you may need to file two state tax returns--one for each of the states that you lived and earned income in.    What two states are involved?   When did you move from one state to the other?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies