turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my tax rate is lower, and my taxable income after deductions is less, why would taxes owed be more?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my tax rate is lower, and my taxable income after deductions is less, why would taxes owed be more?

The problem was a glitch in the TurboTax program:

On the Personal Income section, Box 12a-d, the dropdowns don't always update when selected. I had mistakenly selected "A-Uncollected social security..." When I re-selected "D-Elective deferrals to 401(k), it looked selected, but when I went back later to research the tax discrepancy, I was that it had not retained the "D" selection.

I tested this several times and found that about 50% of the time it does NOT update properly.

User beware!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The problem was a glitch in the TurboTax program:

On the Personal Income section, Box 12a-d, the dropdowns don't always update when selected. I had mistakenly selected "A-Uncollected social security..." When I re-selected "D-Elective deferrals to 401(k), it looked selected, but when I went back later to research the tax discrepancy, I was that it had not retained the "D" selection.

I tested this several times and found that about 50% of the time it does NOT update properly.

User beware!

MichaelMc

Many taxpayers are finding that their refunds are smaller than expected or that they owe taxes this year.

In 2018, the withholding tables used by employers were adjusted to put more money into wage earners' paychecks. This was done without fully taking into account the impact of many tax law changes that were also taking effect in 2018. The consequence is that many taxpayers are seriously under-withheld.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies