bmtez81

If my state taxes were intercepted because of a debt but the debt wasn't paid in full can my federal taxes be taken as well to satisfy my past due balance

AlanT

Unfortunately, yes your federal return can also be used to offset your debt.  If the federal return is more than the balance of your debt, you will receive a refund for the remainder.  

AlanT

bmtez81

But what if the debt that are owed aren't federal debts? Mind you that I was never notified about an offset or debt prior to my taxes being intercepted.. Had I had the opportunity to be notified of the debts prior to the offset I could have taken the necessary steps to fulfill the obligation..