turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my spouse no longer lives in US and never had a social security number, how do I choose a filing status if I'm legally married but we're separated (non-legally)?

I haven't spoken with my spouse in years but have been unable to file for divorce. He no longer lives in the US and left the country before becoming a citizen. If I file as married filing separately, it still asks for his social security number, which he never had.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If my spouse no longer lives in US and never had a social security number, how do I choose a filing status if I'm legally married but we're separated (non-legally)?

@campbellsere wrote:
I haven't spoken with my spouse in years but have been unable to file for divorce. He no longer lives in the US and left the country before becoming a citizen. If I file as married filing separately, it still asks for his social security number, which he never had.

If you have a child, step child or foster child you can probably file Head of Household.

Otherwise your only choice is Married Separate and print and mail the return and write NRA (non resident alien) in place of the SSN.

We cannot give legal advice, but you should probably see an attorney.   Abandonment can be grounds for divorce without the spouse being present.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies