turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dtone612

If my spouse and I are filing separately for student loan reasons, does the "federal refund" include the total of our refunds or just mine" ?

I am trying to compare the different in our owed taxes between MFS and MFJ status overall.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If my spouse and I are filing separately for student loan reasons, does the "federal refund" include the total of our refunds or just mine" ?

A separate return is just that - one spouse only (unless you live in a community property state and must allocate income which will probably negate any advantage for a student loan).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

If you're preparing a Married Filing Separately tax return, then only your refund/amount due is reflected because you shouldn't have any of your husbands information on your tax return.

The only way to know for sure is to create test returns, one for each spouse, and compare the bottom lines. Be sure to also prepare the state return so you can get a complete tax picture.

If you're using the TurboTax CD\Download version, see How can we compare married filing jointly with married filing separately?

Generally, filing jointly will give you a bigger refund or less taxes due. When you file separately, your tax rate is higher and you won't be able to claim:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies