If my parent doesn't work therefore doesn't file taxes, should i selcet yes or no when asked if someone can claim me on there taxes?

I am a 22 year old college student my parent doesn't work due to a disability and doesn't file taxes. When asked if someone can claim me what should I answer. On the same vain I never received the third stimulus check when I believe I qualify for would the tax forms for this year have information regarding that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ColeenD3

If you don't qualify as a dependent for any person, then you would say no to the questions can and does someone claim you as a dependent.

Qualifying child

In addition to the qualifications above, to claim an exemption for your child, you must be able to answer "yes" to all of the following questions.

• Are they related to you? The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them.
  • Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply.
  • Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This requirement commonly applies to children of divorced parents. Here you must use the “tie-breaker rules,” which are found in IRS Publication 501. These rules establish income, parentage, and residency requirements for claiming a child.

Well, do your parents support you?  Who pays for college?

About 98% of the cost of college is covered though scholarships and financial aid and the remainder I pay through what I make at my on campus job. I pay for my phone bill and groceries unless my mom offers. When school is in session (about 8 months) I support myself including housing and when school is not in session (about 4 months) my mom provides housing and food

KrisD15

You are a non-dependent if you supply more than half your own support. 

Scholarships don't count towards you suppling your support, but student loans do. 

If you are a non-dependent, you would get the "missing third stimulus payment" as a credit on your 2021 tax return. 

If you are a dependent, the person that claims you would get the stimulus payment (as a credit) in regards to you on their return.