baarciniega

If my parent can claim me as a dependent but has not filed his tax return do I need to check that they will claim me?

My parent has not filed his tax return yet, but says he will claim me as a dependent in his return.  However, once I check the box that he will claim me as a dependent the system interprets this as saying that they have already claimed me and proceeds to ask for information that I do not have.   Can I just check no to the question or does that impede my parent from using me as a dependent in their own return?

If you qualify as their dependent you have to say YES someone else can claim you even if they haven't filed yet and even if they don't claim you.  If you claim yourself first and they try to claim you then their return will reject.