If my husband passed away on 12/23/2020 should I f...

mommaofboys0003

If my husband passed away on 12/23/2020 should I file married or or widowed

rjs

I am sorry about your loss.

Married and widowed are marital statuses, not filing statuses. For your 2020 tax return your filing status should be married filing jointly, the same as if your husband was still alive. If you just answer the questions carefully in the My Info section of TurboTax, it will lead you to that filing status.

This doesn't matter right now, but just to make you aware, if you have a dependent child, for the next two years, 2021 and 2022, you will probably be able to use the qualifying widow filing status, unless you remarry. Again, the questions in TurboTax will lead you to the correct filing status. But you do not file as qualifying widow for the year of your husband's death.

bluecrow777

My husband passed recently in March of 2021. Will I file next year (2021) as married filing jointly? 

Also, will my husband be entitled to the most recent stimulus check, the $1400 that has yet to be sent out?

pattif12

Yes, your filing status for 2021 will be married filing jointly.

And your deceased husband will be eligible for the third stimulus check. I am sorry for your loss.