Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my husband is going through immigration process an I am head of household how do I claim him on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

If my husband is going through immigration process an I am head of household how do I claim him on my taxes?

Does he live with you?

Is he in this country now? 

Does he have an ITIN? 

Does he have a visa?

Do you have dependents that live with you in your house that you support?  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

HI! My husband lives with me, he is here on a visa and we are in progress with his green card application. I am currently the head of household. How am I able to claim him on our taxes? We have no children together.

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

In order for your spouse to be on your tax return, he will need to apply for a TIN No.  (or an ITIN)  Please see this link under the heading "How do I get a TIN", about halfway down the page:  How to Apply for a TIN or ITIN.

In regard to your husband's tax status:  

In general, resident aliens are taxed just like U.S. citizens. You would list a resident-alien spouse on your return and provide his or her Social Security number (SSN). If your spouse is not eligible for a Social Security number, he or she will need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from the IRS.

If your spouse is a nonresident alien, you have two options:

• Treat your spouse as a resident alien for tax purposes. If you choose this option, you can file a joint tax return with your spouse and have an increased standard deduction. You increase your standard deduction, but all your spouse's worldwide income will be taxed by the United States.
  • Treat your spouse as a nonresident alien for tax purposes. If you choose this option, you cannot file a joint tax return. You must file with a status of "married filing separately." If your spouse has no income from U.S. sources and cannot be claimed as a dependent on anyone else's tax return, you will likely be eligible to claim your spouse as a dependent on your return.

Please see these Help Articles for more details:  Claiming Non Resident Spouse on Your Taxes    Tax Tips for Resident and Non Resident Aliens

@jordanmoses972 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies